Friday, February 04, 2005

Inspiration: round 2

I guess Tori's inspiration wasn't great enough back in October. It took me a few more months to really get inspired:
"there is a certain someone who must check my blogger every day. Sorry to disappoint you about the infrequent posts of late, but since you have all that time to read, maybe you should update yourself!" -- tori
Maybe that isn't exactly inspiration, but whatever it is, it worked. I've actually been given several nice requests to start posting again, but just haven't for one reason or another. I think I will only have two readers, so I hope you two spanish-speaking freaks enjoy my effort to entertain you with the random details of my new life as a college graduate.
My previous blog was focused on my experiences in the two G-towns: Glasgow and Georgetown. This blogger will take a huge leap in time, completely skipping my senior year of college. This blogger will not be an effort to catch up in time and dwell in what I may or may not have done over the past year and a half. Instead, I hope to share a bit of the happiness that I am experiencing in my new home in Louisville.
A great deal of my posts may have something to do with working at Maryhurst. No day is the same as the day before, and because of that, I have some good stories. Some are sad, some are inspiring, and some are funny only in retrospect.
Another substantial bit of my blogger may be focused on my never ending confusion dealing with the opposite sex. Men. Yes men. I am currently on a quest I like to call "figuring out men." With the help of literature and my courage to question, I will conquer.
I am also in great thought lately about where I am going from here and basically what my future holds. I have been asking myself lately, "Do I have ambition?"

Tonight when I started writing, I had no idea where this post was going, but my mind went wild after a conversation I had with my roommate, Eric. He was talking about a job offer he received today and how he should approach asking for a higher salary. Our conversation then launched into an unsettling realization. At my current job, I am making less than half of what I would be making if I was working in the field of my BS, mathematics. Furthermore, if I had have taken the social security office route, I'd be making a similar amount. Wow. Double wow when you look at some of the other figues we found in an "average yearly salary offers" packet that Eric had. But what was more discouraging is how he said, "if only they had have given us this when we were trying to pick our majors a few years ago." Honestly, what difference would it have made for me? I like to think that money douesn't matter, but it seems more and more that people judge you by how much money you make. Somehow the amount of money you make has become directly correlated with the amount of ambition you have. Sometimes I feel like I have no ambition because I can't see anything past me working with the girls at Maryhurst. I feel like this should be my temporary job until I move on to my "career." Because why would anyone aspire to watch a 17-year-old girl cry because she hasn't seen her parents in three years and then try to convince her that she is going to have a positive day? Why would anyone want to carry a girl into a 49-square-foot room, perry her to the ground, run out and hold the door behind you for your safety? Why would I give a hug to a girl tomorrow who called me a "fucking bitch" today? I don't know. Call it stupidity or call it love, but don't call it lack of ambition. It is weird.
And I think I am finished for the night.
It feels good to be back.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tori said...

Hey Jenny. Glad to see you are back in the saddle again!
Love you,
Tori

2:22 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

I'm glad you finally found me! I'm enjoying being back. Remind me of that when I stop in a couple of months! = ]

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home